[html5] Author of a quote - how to mark up?

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 19:01:48 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Samer Ziadeh<samerziadeh at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are tons of HTML elements out there and so many of them are barely
> used by authors. Adding an extra elements such as "author" wouldn't hurt
> anyone, isn't hard to implement, and only take a line to explain what it
> does.

If concrete use-cases were not required for new elements, the number
of elements in HTML would be ridiculous.  I think it would be pretty
easy to come up with twenty to fifty elements that are about as
reasonable or useful as a generic <author> tag.  What's the point?  It
would just be bloat.  This is why we have the class attribute, and
microdata.  Why not use the existing mechanisms for marking up content
if you don't have a specific reason to ask for a whole new element?