[html5] Questions about Validator.nu

Kai Hendry hendry at iki.fi
Sun Nov 14 03:37:01 PST 2010

On 14 November 2010 10:58, Marc Gueury <mgueury at skynet.be> wrote:
> Q1.  Is it right that validator.nu is only a web program that I can not run
> at the command line to give the list of errors of page ?

You can get the validator.nu source and run it yourself if you really
desired. I tried myself as was put off by the Java dependencies and
complexity. So I just post my buffer to validator.nu for linting.

Validator.nu supports the GNU error format:
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Validator.nu_GNU_Output

I use it from vim with http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/IDE using a
commandline script

> Q2. I understood from the author of Tidy that there is nothing like HTML
> Tidy in HTML 5 ?

I've been wondering the same. So I imagine what we want here is the
authored Web page to look like what the browser "sees" it as (parses).
Again Henri has done some excellent work here with the HTML5 parser
http://about.validator.nu/htmlparser/

So you could conceivably input the HTML document into a HTML5 parser
and get a canonicalised (not sure of the terminology)
infoset/DOM/"tidied" Web page. Actually, I think browsers like Firefox
already do this. If you feed in a horribly crafted piece of HTML and
you do a "Save As", you should get a "fixed up" version of that
document IIRC.

Good luck making some nice tools,