[html5] Nu.Validator as a stanalone library

Michael[tm] Smith mike at w3.org
Fri Feb 1 22:04:24 PST 2013

"Subramanian, Geetha" <SubramanianG2 at gsicommerce.com>, 2013-02-01 19:41 +0000:

> We have in-house CMS application that needs to support HTML5 content. We
> require a HTML5 validator that can be plugged into our application , can
> validate HTML5 content and return errors that could be displayed to the
> user.
>
> We tried using Nu.validator but are unable to configure it to behave like
> the online nu.Validator.  We haven't been able to get any information on
> the web. The closest we got was
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.w3c.whatwg.help/793
>
> We are totally blocked and unable to proceed. Any information about how
> this can be achieved will be greatly appreciated.

The validator is essentially designed for use as an HTTP service not as a
library.  It expects to receive HTTP requests and to return HTTP responses.
But you could package the validator along with your application and have
your application start it up as a service running on port 8888 or whatever
and then your application communicates with it through the validator's REST
API.

Alternatively, you can use some code that "mocks" the HTTP request/response
behavior. There's an example here:

  https://bitbucket.org/pfalcon/validator/commits/default#chg-src/nu/validator/servlet/VerifierCommandLine.java

Also I while back I made some experimental pre-packaged jars for the
validator. You can find them here:

  https://bitbucket.org/sideshowbarker/vnu/src

And there are instructions for using them here:

  https://bitbucket.org/sideshowbarker/vnu#how-to-use-the-pre-built-jars

They are experimental and unsupported and are not up to date with the
current validator code, but you still might find them useful.

  --Mike