[Imps] [whatwg] Test cases for parsing spec (Was: Re: Provding Better Tools)

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Wed Dec 6 09:28:43 PST 2006

James Graham wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>>   http://code.google.com/p/html5lib/
>
>> I have no interest in participating in a project without test cases.
>
> You are entirely right that we have a serious lack of testcases at the
> moment. This is intended to be a temporary situation, hence my interest
> in working out an implementation-independent format for tokenizer/parser
> testcases - the more separate projects that can share the same
> testcases, the more we should accrete overall and, hopefully, there will
> be fewer subtle bugs which damage interoperability.
>
> It would be really great if you (and others!) could get involved and
> help us remedy the current poor test situation.

My experience is that it always the case that "This is intended to be a
temporary situation".  Road to hell and all that.  My experience with
attempting to retro-fit tests onto an existing code base is generally
not good.

That being said, if Ian (or somebody) can come up with a small seed of
test cases, I will try to convert them into a usable form and see if I
can get html5lib working with it.

If I succeed, we all benefit.  If I fail, then, well, it didn't really
cost you anything.

- Sam Ruby