[Imps] Reasonable limits on buffered values

Simon Pieters zcorpan at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 29 05:28:04 PST 2006

Hi,

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi>
>I'm wondering if there's a best practice here. Is there data on how
>long non-malicious attribute values legitimately appear on the Web?

I know pages with bookmarklets can have pretty long attribute values. See,
e.g.

   http://juicystudio.com/article/complextableinspector.php#thebook

That's 8.41 KiB.

Additionally, .NET applications can have long attribute values too. See
"Figure 3. Simple page LessViewState.aspx with DataGrid1" at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspnet/html/asp11222001.asp

That's 3.05 KiB, but can get a lot longer depending on the number of form
controls, I think.

Regards,
Simon Pieters