[Imps] Liberal XML parsing

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Mon Jan 8 08:29:56 PST 2007

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:34:55 +0100, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net>
wrote:
> I've posted a note on how the code in html5lib could serve as an
> excellent foundation for a number of "liberal" XML parsing tasks:
>
> http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2007/01/08/Xhtml5lib
>
> Personally, I'm not overly interested in hearing more opinions as to
> whether or not there is a valid demand for liberal XML parsing.  If you
> don't want to use it, don't.

I've nothing against liberal XML parsing and I would actually like it to
be formalized somewhere, but I do think that calling it an XHTML5 parser
is wrong given that XHTML5 as it stands now is supposed to be parsed by an
XML parser.

> What I WOULD be interested in hearing opinions on is what would be the
> best way to maintain this code going forward: could it live as a
> separate module within html5lib repository?  Should it be a separate
> repository?  If separate, are there some changes to the tokenizer in
> particular that could be made that would either directly enable this
> usage or would make it easier to monkey-patch for usage by xhtml5lib?

Can't you subclass the tokenizer? (I don't mind it being in the same
repository as html5lib by the way. Not sure what the best location is.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>