[Imps] Liberal XML parsing

James Graham jg307 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 8 09:27:09 PST 2007

Sam Ruby wrote:

> What I WOULD be interested in hearing opinions on is what would be the
> best way to maintain this code going forward: could it live as a
> separate module within html5lib repository?  Should it be a separate
> repository?

I'm open to hosting it in the same repository; the only issue that I see is that
people may conflate the two parts and be put off downloading html5lib because
they think it is a liberal XML parser or xhtml5lib because they think it is a
html-only project.

> If separate, are there some changes to the tokenizer in
> particular that could be made that would either directly enable this
> usage or would make it easier to monkey-patch for usage by xhtml5lib?

Assuming the patches needed don't cause severe regressions in the code
readability or performance of html5lib I think the existing tokenizer would be
the right place to apply them.