[Imps] HTML 4.01 compatibility modes for an HTML5 parser

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Thu Jun 28 07:05:44 PDT 2007

On Jun 28, 2007, at 15:53, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Does this seem reasonable? Are there additional modes that would be
> such low-hanging fruit that I should offer more modes? On the other
> hand, is there something wrong with offering these modes?

Revised per IRC discussion with Anne:

     /**
      * Be a pure HTML5 parser.
      */
     HTML,

     /**
      * Require the HTML 4.01 Transitional public id. Turn on HTML4-
specific
      * additional errors regardless of doctype.
      */
     HTML401_TRANSITIONAL,

     /**
      * Require the HTML 4.01 Transitional public id and a system id.
Turn on
      * HTML4-specific additional errors regardless of doctype.
      */
     HTML401_STRICT,

     /**
      * Treat the doctype required by HTML 5, doctypes with the HTML
4.01 Strict
      * public id and doctypes with the HTML 4.01 Transitional public
id and a
      * system id as non-errors. Turn on HTML4-specific additional
errors if the
      * public id is the HTML 4.01 Strict or Transitional public id.
      */
     AUTO,

     /**
      * Never enable HTML4-specific error checks. Never report any
doctype
      * condition as an error. (Doctype tokens in wrong places will be
      * reported as errors, though.) The application may decide what
to log
mode
      * in meant for doing surveys on existing content.
      */
     NO_DOCTYPE_ERRORS

--
Henri Sivonen