[imps] [whatwg] Cross browser automated tests

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue May 20 19:51:45 PDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008, Sylvain Pasche wrote:

> I'm working on an experimental project to build a set of cross browser
> automated tests. The idea would be to have a repository of browser
> independent automated tests. Existing test suites could be imported into
> it.
>
> Would WHATWG be interested in such a project?

I think that would be great; if you do go ahead with this, you are welcome
to use the WHATWG wiki and other resources. I encourage you to use the
implementors mailing list for this:

> To meet these goals, such an API should be as unobtrusive as possible:
> * One .js file to include

I recommend not embedding any JS, but instead requiring that the following
two lines be used to report results (or something like them):

   if (parent.reportResults)
     parent.reportResults(...);

...and using <iframe>s to embed the tests one after another. I use
something similar for my performance tests:

   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/perf/

This makes the test even easier to maintain, and also makes it a lot
easier to reimplement the harness or to share tests between hardnesses.

HTH,