[imps] getAttribute() returning null

Simon Pieters simonp at opera.com
Wed Nov 5 07:25:54 PST 2008

(Sending to the list again since my last email got stuck in the moderation
que.)

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 14:36:11 +0100, Kartikaya Gupta
<lists.whatwg at stakface.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:02:54 +0200, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> This is a known issue for the Web DOM Core spec that Simon Pieters is
>> writing.
>> http://simon.html5.org/specs/web-dom-core
>>

> Thanks, I wasn't aware of that spec. I assume that when it is complete,
> web UAs will be expected to conform to *instead of* the regular DOM 3
> Core spec.

That's the intent, yes.

> And that, say, the HTMLElement interface in HTML5 will extend from the
> Web DOM Core Element interface.

Yep.

> Is that correct, or will this spec simply augment the DOM 3 Core spec
> and point out differences that web UAs have?

No.

The intent with Web DOM Core is to drop anything in DOM 3 Core that major
Web browsers don't implement (like renameNode), change things where major
Web browsers violate DOM 3 Core (like getAttribute) and add things that
UAs need to support for compat with the Web (like Element.children). And
to bring DOM Core to the same level of detail as HTML5.

> Also, it looks like the spec is in very early stages. Do you know if
> there is any timeline (unofficial or otherwise) associated with the spec?

It's in the early stages indeed. There's no timeline yet. I'm not actively
working on it right now, but I intend to get back to it in due course and
my intent is to bring it to the W3C or so. Meanwhile, if someone has any
feedback on it feel free to send it directly to me and cc www-archive or
any list you think is appropriate (or #whatwg on freenode works too).

Cheers,
--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software