[imps] validator front end not talking to servlet

Rancid Iodine rancid.iodine at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 04:20:14 PDT 2012

Some progress.

The tcpdump/wireshark traffic capture didn't help, but I tried a few
different variations in the whole procedure and long story short here's the
result:

http requests will hang if

1 - you build/run the servlet in background

2 - you build/run the servlet it in a screen session

or

3 - you build/run the servlet from a script, as I did from /etc/rc.local

In order to maintain a "service" with this, one needs to build/run the
servlet in a console so it's completely hooked into the parent (terminal)
process for some reason, and this is what I'm doing now (from a console in
our vmware vcenter). Some people would call it an ugly solution, but that
would be their problem :). You'd think there's something fairly basic one
could do from the linux perspective to get around this, but I'm not sure
what it is, never having come across this before.

One final question: is there any provision for the use of a network proxy,
thus to enable validation outside of a firewall? Nothing obvious comes up
in http://about.validator.nu , and it's no big issue considering we are
more interested in being able to validate html5 inside the firewall, but I
ask just in case we can have our cake and eat it too.

Thanks again for all your help.

Andrei