[whatwg] Accesskey in Web Forms 2

Derek Featherstone feather at wats.ca
Mon Aug 23 09:07:15 PDT 2004

Henri Sivonen <mailto:hsivonen at iki.fi> wrote:
> (But as far as HTML goes, I'm inclined to think
> author-specified access keys are a misfeature.)

I agree completely, Henri. I know we aren't talking about XHTML 2.0 here,
but I think the mechanism they've proposed in the latest working draft is
much more useful and beneficial to the people that actually need to
establish these keyboard shortcuts. Having said that, it is my understanding
that HTML 5 (or whatever comes from this) will need to backwards compatible
- is that correct?

I've written a lot on accesskeys (not sure if you've seen some of these
resources before, and I've only recently joined up on this list, so I'll
point to them. My most recent on accesskeys is "The Future of Accesskeys"
http://www.wats.ca/articles/thefutureofaccesskeys/66  Again -- as I
indicated, I know we aren't talking about XHTML 2 here, but I really like
their strategy. Is there anyway we might consider a scheme like similar to
what they have proposed? Or would it take too many changes to user agents to
be viable?

(If you want to see our other articles/thoughts/opinions on acceskeys, you
can find them at http://www.wats.ca/articles/accesskeys )

Looking forward to contributing!

Best regards,
Derek.
Derek Featherstone     feather at wats.ca
phone: 613.599.9784;   toll-free: 1.866.932.4878 (North America)
Web Accessibility:  http://www.wats.ca
Web Development: http://www.furtherahead.com
Personal: http://www.boxofchocolates.ca