[whatwg] xul

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Wed Aug 11 07:25:59 PDT 2004

* Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> [2004-08-11 13:55+0000]
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> >
> > In
> > http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/
> > please address relationship to Mozilla XUL
> > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xul/
>
> I added a very short section that answers your question:
>
> | 1.6. Relationship to XUL, Avalon/XAML, and other proprietary UI
> | languages
> |
> | This specification is independent of the various proprietary UI
> | languages that various vendors provide.
>  -- http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#relationship3
>
> I'm not really sure what else to say, though. Did you have anything
> specific in mind?

(de-lurking)

You might also note that: Mozilla's XUL Template mechanism is based
around matching against RDF graph structures, and that work is currently
under-way within W3C to standardize an RDF graph query language. The
RDF Data Access Working Group (aka "DAWG" :) is the home for this work,
and interested parties may want to follow their efforts (WG mailing list
is publically readable) and consider reviewing their documents. In
particular, two editions of a "Use Cases and Requirements" document have
been published already.

WG home page: http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/
Use cases draft: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-rdf-dawg-uc-20040602/
WG charter: http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/dawg-charter
Initial query design (work in progress, pre-Working Draft):
 http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/

...this might be more than you've room to say in your doc, but I think
it would be good to draw folks attention to this ongoing work, since the
language they're producing is very similar (imho) to the Templates
component of Mozilla XUL.

cheers,

danbri