[whatwg] Markup for Web Forms 2.0 that still requires discussion

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jul 6 09:51:19 PDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Jim Ley wrote:

>> I fail to see how <object> would make sense here. Could you expand on your
>> proposal?
>
> <object name="combo" classid="urn:web-forms2-combobox">
>   <label> or select from the list:</label>
>   <select name="combo">
>     <option>Item 1</option>
>     <option>Item 2</option>
>     <option>Item 3</option>
>   </select>
> </object>

We couldn't use urn: (at least, not without registering a URN namespace).

But it's an interesting idea. What do others think?

>> But in this case, we are talking about making legacy UAs _show_ the
>> contents. So why would this be relevant?
>
> Just in general, it's not a good idea to have wildy different DOM
> heirachies in different UA's, it makes scripting much more complicated
> for example.

Unfortunately, if that's the main argument behind using <object> instead
of <datalist>, then it doesn't work, because in IE, the markup you gave
above has no <object> element in the DOM.

This would probably also make making a backwards-compatible version
significantly harder (Dean?).