[whatwg] Suggestion: Web-IE6 Specification

Space Dog spacedog at planetquake.com
Sat Jun 5 17:01:03 PDT 2004

    Web Forms 2.0 and other standards currently being developed by WHAT
WG are based on the idea of backwards compatibility with Internet
Explorer 6.0. (If I'm in error about this, please let me know.)
Therefore, in order to create specifications to this end, we need to
know exactly what IE does and does not support. However, I don't believe
there is a single, official page on the Internet that contains all
necessary information on just what standards Internet Explorer supports.

    For this reason, I propose the a specification called "Web Standards
in Internet Explorer 6.0", or Web-IE6 for short. This specification
would be defined in the following manner:

1) The spec would contain information on what portions of WHAT WG specs
and W3C recommendations are supported in IE.

2) This would not include anything from W3C below a recommendation, but
when a specification becomes a recommendation, the Web-IE6 spec would be
updated accordingly.

3) The spec would define how IE 6.0 deviates from specifications for the
elements/attributes/events/etc. it does support.

3) This would not include proprietary Microsoft extensions to W3C
recommendations, except where those extensions exist in WHAT WG
specifications.

4) This would not include work arounds that give IE functionality
similar to what is specified in W3C recommendations and WHAT WG
specifications.

    In a nutshell, Web-IE6 would define a subset of W3C and WHAT WG
standards that are supported in Internet Explorer 6.0. This would have
the following benefits:

* Webmasters could design use this specification to create
standards-compliant web pages and web applications that display and
operate properly or reasonably in Internet Explorer.

* Specification writer would benefit from having a clearer picture of
how IE would behave when displaying web pages that utilize their specs.

* Browser developers would be able to use the specification to ensure
standards compliance that would meet or exceed that of IE.

    End of line.