[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 (WD 16 June 2004): DOCTYPEs

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Jun 23 09:39:13 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Dave Hodder wrote:

> Section 1.6 of the draft mentions use of the DOCTYPE <!DOCTYPE html
> PUBLIC "-//WHATWG//NONSGML HTML5//EN">.

Yeah -- just to explain where that came from: "NONSGML" is because we
don't have a DTD yet, and "HTML5" is mostly a joke.

We'll be revisiting the whole subject later, when the spec is stable
enough to make a DTD. For now there is this temporary FPI just so people
who want to write Web Forms stuff can do so without triggering quirks mode
in modern browsers (which they would without a DOCTYPE) and without
claiming to use a DTD that is not going to validate (which they would if
they used, say, the HTML4 DOCTYPE).