[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Wed Apr 6 03:58:47 PDT 2005

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>>> HTML5 will most likely stop the pretense of HTML being an SGML
>>> application.
>
> +1.

-1

>> and the mostly undefined error handling, what about HTML 5 will be so
>> incompatible with SGML to warrant such a decision?
>
> One example:
>
> <http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2005-January/002993.html>
> <http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2005-January/002999.html>
> <http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2005-January/003001.html>

Documents that contain </ within script and style elements, that are not
</script> and </style> respectively (or the SHORTTAG version </>) are
broken.  I see no problem with defining error handling for broken
documents, but no need to break conformance with SGML in the process.
HTML is an application of SGML, regardless of all the broken
implementations and documents we currently have, and I don't want to see
that changed.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/