[whatwg] [html5] tags, elements and generated DOM

Olav Junker Kjær olav at olav.dk
Thu Apr 7 04:46:33 PDT 2005

Jim Ley wrote:
> Would a version parameter not be more appropriate, simpler, less
> confusing to users, easier to parse, easier to understand, doesn't
> confuse users into thinking that it's really an application of SGML.
> Doesn't cause problems for legacy user agents like the HTML Validator
> etc. etc.

Actually, the HTML element has a (deprecated!) version attribute, which
could be used for this purpose. I agree it feels cleaner than using the
doctype syntax.

OTOH authors are going to use doctypes for the forseeable future anyway,
since they want to trigger standards compliant mode in browsers, so we
might as well put the doctype to some use.

regards
Olav Junker Kjær