[whatwg] Web Forms 2.0 submission to W3C

Dean Jackson dean at w3.org
Tue Apr 12 05:51:52 PDT 2005

On 12 Apr 2005, at 20:31, Olav Junker Kjær wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> FYI, the W3C has just acknowledged receipt of the Web Forms 2.0 draft
>> that Mozilla and Opera submitted (on behalf of the WHATWG).
>
> Is this good or bad news? The W3C does not seem very enthusiastic
> about the submission.

I apologise if there appeared to be a negative feeling in the
W3C Comment. It definitely wasn't intended.

It's true that this was an extremely difficult Submission to handle.
The W3C rules suggest that WF2 should be rejected because it was
in conflict with existing work. The W3C certainly doesn't want to
suggest that the best way to make progress is to start up your
own group, develop outside, and then submit back to W3C for a rubber
stamp. The W3C process may not be super fast, but that's because it
is very strict on things like consensus and patents.

However, the positive point is that both sides want to work with
each other, and we're busy trying to work out the best approach (we
have something in mind).

Also, to be clear, the W3C Team Comment is not the authorised
opinion of the entire W3C (which includes Opera and Mozilla). It's
only a comment from the W3C Staff.

Dean