[whatwg] Canvas element

Dimitri Glazkov dimitri.glazkov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:28:33 PDT 2005

I guess I am still struggling to grasp the concepts, so please be
patient with me.

Isn't the main functional value behind the canvas element is the
rendering context? If so, what is the significance of the canvas
element itself? Take away the behavior, and you've got yourself
another SPACER tag.

Why not allow creating rendering context on all block-level elements?
Why does the content have to contain information which block level
element is meant for drawing?

Also, I am having hard time the "fallback content" phrase. IMHO, it's
not the fallback content, it's _the content_ of the element. The
rendering context is presentation (hopefully, visual interpretation of
the content), and so are all functional behaviors that come with it.

However, if the rendering context is available on all block-level
elements, you can do some really neat stuff, such as using the content
of a block-level element as arguments for rendering. For instance, the
markup of an ordered list of links and images is transformed into an
image gallery.

:DG<