[whatwg] Questions: IE 6 Compatibility, HTML 5, Spec Timeframe, and Implementation Timeframe

Brad Neuberg bkn3 at columbia.edu
Tue Apr 26 10:32:03 PDT 2005

I have several questions and concerns.

First, what exactly is the stance in regard to IE 6 compatibility for Web
Forms 2.0 and Web Applications 1.0?  I've been hearing things lately
concerning Web Applications 1.0 that seem like they would be very
difficult, impossible, or cause slow performance if emulated in IE
6.  Whats the exact relationship between these specs and IE 6?  Will there
be a baseline of support in IE 6, a low water mark?

Second, what is the relationship of HTML 5 to these two specs? Who is
developing this standard?  At first glance it seems like a large dependency.

Third, is there a timeframe for completing these two specs and for getting
actual implementations out the door? I'm concerned that proprietary web
app/rich web app defacto standards will succeed faster than the WHAT-WG,
like Flash and Avalon, and one of the things that attracted me to the
WHAT-WG was its focus on being real-world and pragmatic, getting it out the
door rather than getting it perfect, co-opting and using existing de-facto
standards like innerHTML rather than rolling new ivory tower ones.  Would
hard deadlines on both specs, including deadlines for implementations, help
this?  I don't want to end up with another SVG, a giant spec that was
announced, took years to develop, and still doesn't have real
implementations or critical mass.

We need this stuff yesterday; it's just too important. ;)

Best,
   Brad Neuberg

Brad Neuberg, bkn3 at columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.