[whatwg] [WA1] Title Element Content Model

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Sat Apr 9 00:23:55 PDT 2005

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
>> | In HTML (as opposed to XHTML), the title element must not contain
>> | content other than text and entities; user agents must parse the
>> | element so that entities are recognised and processed, but all other
>> | markup is interpreted as literal text.
>>
>> I think that should be changed to state:
>>
>>   "... but, for backwards compatibility, all other markup (such as
>>    elements and comments) should be interpreted as literal text."
>
> Why? Its content model is #PCDATA:

I know, so for HTML 4, current browsers shouldn't interpret markup as
plain text and display it in the title bar, but they do.

Will be displayed by current UAs in the title as "<em>Hello</em>
World!", instead of just "Hello World!".

As you can see in the quote above, the current draft makes this
incorrect behaviour a requirement by stating that:

   "user agents must parse the element so that [...] all other markup is
    interpreted as literal text."

I am only requesting that that requirement be changed from a *must* to a
*should* for backwards compatibility, because that's what current UAs do
now, but not what strictly conforming SGML/HTML 4 UAs are supposed do.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/