[whatwg] Some likeness of DOM Session scope

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Apr 21 06:07:45 PDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> It seems that a future Web Application platform should have this type of
> functionality readily available. What do you think about the idea of
> having some likeness of a scope that's inherently wider than request?

I entirely agree that this is a good idea. I'm not 100% sure what a good
way to do this is. Some sort of per-domain, per-window (tab, in modern
browsers) object that is shared across pages from that domain is what I
had in mind, but I'm not sure what the object should do. I was considering
having it be a DOM (so basically you stored data in an XML document), but
that seems unwieldly. I also considered just a list of strings, but that
seems too unstructured. An object containing object references wouldn't
really work other, because there's no way to serialise it (so that it
lasts longer than the current browser session, e.g.).

Anyone have any concrete proposals? :-)