[whatwg] [WF2] Web Forms 2.0: Repetition and type ID

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Sun Jul 3 06:14:45 PDT 2005

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> > Ok, I allowed two other characters to be used in the place of [] as
> > well.
>
> In principle, that's a good idea.  But do you really expect a typical
> author to remember that they should, or even be able to, type and ,
> instead of [ and ] for id attributes, considering that they don't appear
> most keyboards and they may not even have any fonts with those glyphs
> available?

No, I expect typical authors to be quite happy not worrying about generic
XML authoring tools and just to use [ ] instead, which is perfectly
conformant in HTML5.

Actually I expect most authors to never even remotely come close to this
problem, since you only hit it if you are doing _all_ of the following:

 1. Using repetition blocks with the template name substitution feature.
 2. Nesting such templates.
 3. Using the XML serialisation of HTML5.
 4. Trying to use tools that are based on XML DTDs or XML Schemas.

> Personally, I prefer Matthew's idea to use a templateid attribute.

As noted, that doesn't solve the perceived problem.