[whatwg] XMLHttpRequest: should UA pretend a 304 response is a 200?

Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen hallvord at hallvord.com
Sun Jul 3 14:11:19 PDT 2005

On 3 Jul 2005 at 21:30, Jim Ley wrote:

>> So, should we not tell the JavaScript that a 304 response was
>> returned, but show the original response including headers? Views?

> Absolutely not!

Thanks for your opinion and arguments :-)
I sort of think it is a bad idea too. However..

> It's trivial to work around

That is obvious. However, *will* people work around it, or will the
browser that is better at caching documents be at a disadvantage
because web apps will mysteriously appear broken to the end user..?

I don't think IE ever sends a conditional request for a document
requested via XMLHttpRequest (I don't know every corner of the HTTP
caching spec though). If apps are tested mainly with IE and somewhat
superficially in other browsers, these minor browsers will be
penalised for their caching. I think faking 200 would be in the
interest of smaller browsers and make life simpler for JS authors
under most conditions (I don't see much of a use case for wanting to
know about the 304 response..)
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
http://www.hallvord.com/