[whatwg] text/html conformance checkers and CDATA

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Jul 25 18:38:43 PDT 2005

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Should text/html conformance checkers treat the string '</' as the end
> of <script> and <style> as in SGML or should they look for the entire
> end tag as in tag soup?

I believe "</" is only valid in script and style elements according to
SGML rules when it is the end-tag for the elements, and therefore, must
be of the form </script>, </style> or the SHORTTAG NET form </>.
However, since SHORTTAG is not supported, only </script> and </style>
should be allowed.

> I think conformance checkers should not allow '</' in elements whose
> content model in HTML 4 was CDATA.

Agreed.  That is how HTML 4 validators currently work.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/