[whatwg] Using X3D in XHTML documents

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 4 21:48:46 PDT 2005

Ian Hickson wrote:
 > On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:
 >>Given this "new" information, I would like to know of the following is
 >>an acceptable use of X3D within an XHTML document:
 >>
 >>| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 >>| <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
 >>| "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
 >>| xmlns:x3d="http://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-3.0.xsd">
 >>| <head>
 >>|   <title>3D Model</title>
 >>|     x3d:X3D {
 >>|       width: 100px;
 >>|       height: 100px;
 >>|     }
 >>| </head>
 >>|   <h1>A 3D Cylinder Model</h1>
 >>|     <x3d:X3D profile="MPEG-4 Interactive">
 >>|       <x3d:Scene>
 >>|         <x3d:Shape>
 >>|           <x3d:Appearance>
 >>|             <x3d:Material diffuseColor="0.0 0.5 1.0"/>
 >>|           </x3d:Appearance>
 >>|           <x3d:Cylinder/>
 >>|         </x3d:Shape>
 >>|       </x3d:Scene>
 >>|     </x3d:X3D>
 > > I guess so. Some spec somewhere will probably need to state that an
<X3D>
> element introduces a rectangular surface and then should describe how to
> determine its 2D intrinsic dimensions and/or intrinsic aspect ratio.

    My concern is that the various working groups (Web3D, WHATWG, et
cetera) will play pass the buck on this issue. Can we create a generic
spec for displaying 3D information in a 2D window? We could allow the
X3D spec or other specs to override if they needed to.

> The next step, I guess, is to see if any Web browser vendors want to
> implement X3D! Is the X3D spec stable?
>
> (Note that in the above the selector is wrong and the <div> is probably
> not the right element, but that's another story.)

    Oops!

| x3d|X3D {
|   width: 100px;
|   height: 100px;
| }

    The <div> element is not the right element for what? I'm not even

>>If this is acceptable, does this negate the value of a potential "3d"
>>context for <canvas> in XHTML?
>
> No, there are needs for both declarative 3D and for direct-mode 3D.

    I've already come to that conclusion elsewhere in this thread.