[whatwg] [WA1] Attribute-based selection system

Matthew Raymond mattraymond at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 26 16:35:04 PDT 2005

J. Graham wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>>  This is a specification of my selection system that I discussed over
>>several previous messages. A few modifications have been made since then, so
>>reference this rather than previous messages.
>
> How would you allow different selections for different columns in a table
> (i.e. I want to select one row per column)?

    I can't think of a scenario where you can select any element within
each column and also have a semantic reason for elements in each column
to be on specific rows relative to elements in the other columns. If the
reason for the alignment is PRESENTATIONAL, however, CSS can accomplish
what you want with the following example:

|   <tbody>
|         <ul selection="single auto">
|           <li selected>Item 1</li>
|           <li selected>Item 2</li>
|           <li selected>Item 3</li>
|         </ul>
|         <ul selection="single auto">
|           <li selected>Item 1</li>
|           <li selected>Item 2</li>
|           <li selected>Item 3</li>
|         </ul>
|         <ul selection="single auto">
|           <li selected>Item 1</li>
|           <li selected>Item 2</li>
|           <li selected>Item 3</li>
|         </ul>
|   </tbody>

    Also, you can simple put tables within tables. Modern browsers
handle rendering of nested tables quite easily.

    Wait, there's a better way to handle this. Use <col>, but allow it
to be overridden by <tr>:

|   <colgroup>
|     <col id="selection1" selection="single auto">
|     <col id="selection2" selection="single auto">
|     <col id="selection3" selection="single auto">
|   </colgroup>
|   <tbody>
|       <th selected>Col 1</th>
|       <th>Col 2</th>
|       <th>Col 3</th>
|   </tbody>

    Still, I really think we're wandering into the Land That Use Cases
Forgot. This really strikes me as being three <select>-type controls
next to each other, with a table used to align everything for purposes
of presentation.

> What would the DOM interface look like?

    I'm no Javascript/DOM expert, but I'm thinking like this: