[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:53:57 PDT 2005

Hello,

[...]

> > Back to "feature detecting" though.  Maybe if we had a kind of loopback
> > "ping" that would work.  (If that makes sense.)  That way a document
> > could initiate a "ping" to somewhere it would be able to detect.
>
> You can detect whether the UA supports it or not by putting the attribute
> in uppercase:

Is this proposal doing URI construction?  I.e., taking what's in
"href" and what's in "ping" and gluing them together?

Or is it just "hitting" -- making an hidden HTTP GET request of each
token in the "ping" attibute?

I think the later would be more better.  (At least from the point of
view of someone writing advertising software.)  So, I'd prefer
something like:

ping="http://advertising-network.dom/ping-me
http://publishers-site.dom/ping-me">click me</a>

So then when the user clicks on the link, the go to what's in the
"href" -- to http://advertisers-site.dom/ .  But the user's browser
also "pings" -- makes an hidden HTTP GET -request - of the 2 URI's:
http://advertising-network.dom/ping-me and
http://publishers-site.dom/ping-me .

See ya

--