[whatwg] [wf2] Filtering datalist with pattern

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Aug 23 16:37:38 PDT 2006

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Henri Sivonen wrote:
> > The WF2 spec does not say anything about filtering autocomplete lists
> > on pattern and Opera 9 does not do it. However, autocomplete entries
> > that would fail form validation are not particularly useful.
> >
> > I suggest saying that potential autocomplete items (whether supplied
> > by the UA itself or read from a datalist) should be tested against
> > the datatype and the pattern of the form field being filled and
> > should only be shown if they match both the datatype and the pattern.
>
>    This assumes that the inclusion of such items is unintentional. What
> if you wanted the user to be able to select from a fixed set of values
> that fall outside of the pattern in addition to those that fit the
> pattern? Is the proper way to handle this to force web authors to write
> these values into the pattern? This could be rather troublesome if you
> have a significant set of nonconforming datalist values.

Could you give an example of this? It seems like the common cases, like
picking named values, would be handled by label="" vs value="":

   1:<input type="number" name="gauge" list="gauges" min="0" step="any">
   <datalist id="gauges">
    <option label="Z" value="220">
    <option label="N" value="160">
    <option label="HO" value="87">