[whatwg] Graceful Degradation and Mime Types[was: trailing slash]

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Wed Dec 6 10:30:54 PST 2006

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 07:52:17 +0530, Karl Dubost <karl at w3.org> wrote:

> Le 6 déc. 2006 à 04:08, Martin Atkins a écrit :
>> Mike Schinkel wrote:
>>>
>>> All really sucessful text formats have been easy to edit (why did
>>> RSS take off while RDF is still struggling to get off the ground?)
>> >

>> I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, but it could be
>> argued that RSS has done well while RDF has floundered largely because
>> RSS solves a real-world problem (how to get news/weblog content into
>> aggregators) while RDF solves a purely theoretical problem that less
>> people have a pressing need to solve (A generic representation of
>> relationships between resources).
>
> just for the record and if you really want to compare things.
> RSS 2.0 is an application of XML
> RSS 1.0 is an application of RDF/XML

I would characterise it differently. Every wo/man and their blog uses
(some half-arsed borken form of) RSS because it solves trivial little
problems that are faced by zillions of people. RDF has a smaller usage
base, because the problem it solves is interesting to a smaller group.
That said, the more complex problem is where a lot of money is being
spent, and there is significant interest in it from people who are
building businesses beyond the small web-design shop. To say it is
foundering seems to me like suggesting that jet aircraft are foundering
because most people use propellor planes, or cars.

cheers

chaals at opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com