[whatwg] Update to the Adoption Agency Algorithm

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Feb 3 21:25:44 PST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Blanchard, Todd wrote:

> OK, I have to disagree with this - the id's MUST NOT be duplicated as
> the end result is simply converting one kind of error to a different
> kind of error.

I don't understand why this is bad. The document isn't even well-formed in
these cases, if the author cared about errors then presumably the document
wouldn't have these problems. Can you point to a page that breaks because
of this behaviour?

> I'd also suggest that browsers should be NOISY about bad HTML such that
> authors are encouraged to fix it (possibly through some disable-able
> preference).

That's up to the UA and is out of scope of this working group.

> Making one kind of problem look like another kind of problem isn't
> "HELPING" us.

It isn't intended to. It's intended to make the page render so that the
user can see what he can get to the information on the page.