[whatwg] [wf2] changing the size DOM attribute of <select>

Jim Ley jim.ley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 16:24:31 PST 2006

On 2/10/06, Anne van Kesteren <fora at annevankesteren.nl> wrote:
> Browsers disagree on what should be selected in such cases. Simple testcase:
>
>  <http://webforms2.testsuite.org/controls/select/009.htm>
>
> Opera 9 passes that test and I heard Safari nightlies do too. Internet Explorer
> and Firefox fail the testcase. Personally I would be in favor of changing the
> specification to be compatible with Opera 9 and Safari given that what they do
> is sensible.

Why can't this be left undefined? what does it matter to have
interopable rendering on invalid DOM changes?  Surely forcing code
changes on anyone is just a waste of implementation time here, not
updating the page when the DOM is changed to an invalid number is a
good optimisation?

IE for example simply rejects the update (the size remains at 2), that
seems like a sensible approach, as does normalizing it to 1.

I simply don't see the value in standardising the error behaviour here.

Jim.