[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

Anne van Kesteren fora at annevankesteren.nl
Thu Jan 26 07:09:44 PST 2006

Quoting Alexey Feldgendler <alexey at feldgendler.ru>:
> The simplest, and actually the one being discussed:
>
> <em>
> </em>
>
> Why not? These two paragraphs are highlighted with emphasis. What's
> wrong  here, in the semantical sense?

<em> has never been defined in a way that it could give entire paragraphs
emphasis. I'm not really saying anything is wrong about it, just that
has never
been defined. Also, <em> was defined to be inline-level (nothing to do with
presentation) in HTML4 which means that it could not contain block-level
(again, apart from presentation) elements so parsers did funny things on error
recovery.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>