[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

White Lynx whitelynx at operamail.com
Sat Jun 10 09:09:30 PDT 2006

Michel Fortin wrote:

>>> That is probably quite right.
>>
>> Yes, roman as a default is Ok as a first approximation.
>> Later extra line in author' s style sheet could provide TeX like
>> styling:
>> formula, dformula {text-transform:math-italic;}
>
>Hum, what do you expect "text-transform: math-italic" to do? If you
>want it to change every alphabetic character to the math italic
>equivalent, how do you avoid transforming "sin", "cos", "ln", "mod",
>to italic? You'll need at least one new element, maybe more, to
>distinguish these cases, and then you'll still need to use <var> to
>style non-scalar variables correctly.

If default style is roman, then the rest is up to author, (s)he can either
use LaTeX like math-italic approach and mark roman characters appropriately,
or vise-versa (mark variables apropriately).

>This whole roman-letter-is-a-variable also makes the semantics quite
>strange: in the whole document you can find variables using the <var>
>element while inside formulas you must also look for roman characters
>inside text nodes but outside special "non-variable" elements. I
>don't think this concept fits HTML quite well.

But this concept is not part of HTML.

>I'm not advocating against math-italic, which can be useful to
>display variables correctly, just against implicit variable-making
>inside formulas. If math-italic is implemented, you'll still be able
>to use it like above, but I don't think that should be the
>recommended method of marking up formulas.

What else can be done?

>I think the idea of a script which would add variable markup
>automatically according to some rules is the best way to avoid extra
>manual markup without compromising presentation and/or semantics.
>This way different people will be able to create different tools
>adapted to their specific needs.

In this case no HTML markup is necessary at all,
one can use LaTeX-like input and let script to do the rest of job.