[whatwg] basefont

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Mon Mar 20 04:17:51 PST 2006

Hi,
   I'm just wondering how you're intending to deal with <basefont>?
AFAIK, the only browser that supports it these days is IE, but it does
so by breaking the DOM (I could be mistaken, but I think NN4 supported
it too).

Considering that no other modern browser supports it and that IE's DOM
looks like this when base font is used:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<title>test</title>

#comment: CTYPE ht
HTML
   HEAD
     TITLE
     BASEFONT face="Arial"
       BODY
           #text: test
   BODY (shown as error)

I think it should be made officially obsolete.  It should be inserted
into the DOM as an empty element, but UAs should ignore it.  UAs may
choose to support it at their own risk, but must not do so by breaking
the DOM like IE does.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/