[whatwg] Apple Proposal for Timed Media Elements

ddailey ddailey at zoominternet.net
Thu Apr 5 04:53:00 PDT 2007

I understand that some here have reasons not to be happy with SMIL, but its
implementation within SVG really is quite nice and understandable. So far as
I can see, the discontent with it stems primarily from the fact SMIL seems
to have alternative specifications. Since the SVG implementation is the one
which seems to have met with fairly wide adoption, why not just converge
with the attribute set used there to control an animation?

Instead of media-loop-count it uses repeatCount. "dur" controls the
duration, "begin" controls when it starts, "end" controls when it stops.
Just for fun, one can add things like "begin=object.click" or
"begin=M.begin+1" to allow control to be passed declaratively, and to
synchronize multiple events, hence avoiding the need for copious script. If
one had multiple media elements on a page, controlling the synchronization
of those elements is quite within the province of SMIL(SVG).

All the timing mechanisms that are discussed here, are I believe, covered in
SMIL, each with a different set of attribute names.
It even has spline interpolations on the timing elements. In Opera or IE
with the Adobe plugin http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/smil.htm
shows some of the range of extant behavior.

Sorry if this horse is already dead, and copious apologies about my
cluelessness when it comes to how to read and write specifications, but
there are already authors and developers who are fluent in SVG/SMIL, so why
reinvent wheels?

respecfully,
David