[whatwg] Requesting information about the use of explicit new lines in title attributes.

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Apr 27 16:10:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, RyanJ wrote:

> Requesting information about the new "web-apps" standards point of view
> about giving a page author the ability to add explicit new lines into a
> title attribute to be phrased by a browser. Via the title tooltip test
> suite made by David Hammond
> (http://www.webdevout.net/testcases/title_tooltips/) it is apparent that
> the W3C specification gives the vendor a choice to phrase it or not. I
> was wondering if you'd be able to clear this up once and for all in the
> new specification.

I have clarified the specification to make it explicit that line breaks in
title attribute are actually line breaks.

Of course, that doesn't really require that user agents render them as
such. But it does mean that in the absence of a good argument (e.g. that
the line breaks are being abused or something) user agents should really
honour the line breaks and not render them as, say, black boxes.

HTH,