[whatwg] Private class names (was "several messages about HTML5")

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Wed Feb 21 03:28:00 PST 2007

Le 2007-02-21 à 4:41, Gervase Markham a écrit :

> Surely it would make much more sense to have all the predefined
> class names start with a dash? After all, XHTML5 is not yet
> standardised, whereas people have been using all sorts of random
> class names for years - but, I suspect, mostly without a leading dash.

You're proposing something that looks like the path of less
resistance for adoption of the spec. While this is certainly worth
something, it also happen to be the path of less intensive to use the
predefined class names, or to register new ones when you need one,
since private-domain class names would be prettier and easier to type
than the standardised ones. Beside, it would also make it impossible
to register class names currently in use by microformats.

Because of all that, I think it makes more sense that the private
domain be the one that starts with a dash. There is also the benefit
that you can create a similar private domain for link types (for the
rel attribute).

By the way I know the current predefined class model is lacking in
certain areas, most notably it makes clashes inevitable (although how
much this is a problem is still open for debate). It could certainly
be scrapped altogether in the future, but in the meanwhile I want to
improve it little by little. Maybe with enough incremental
improvements like this one it'll become good enough for a majority of
people.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/