[whatwg] Should <address> be more general-purpose?

Colin Lieberman colin at fontshop.com
Tue Feb 27 11:58:16 PST 2007

Hi; This is my first post to the list.

Andy - one of my first thoughts when reading through the HTML5 spec was
that one of the benefits of dramatically improving available markup
would be getting rid of the need for microformats-type approaches.

With all possible respect to microformats, I see them as a hack -- a
hack that grew out of the deficiencies of HTML. A good, general purpose
<address> element could meet all the needs met by the adr microformat,
with the benefits of being standardized, and the possibility of
user-agents handling the markup natively.

Perhaps what's needed is a type attribute ("postal", "email", etc) as
well as a rel attribute ("author", "contact", "example", etc.). Maybe it
would be useful to have a "for" attribute:
<address type="postal" rel="contact" for="cal_08_07">...</address> would
signify a postal contact address for the content of the element with id
cal_08_07.

I think it's useful to look at microformats as examples of very real
needs that HTML doesn't meet, and work to incorporate those solutions in
HTML.

Regards,
Colin Lieberman