[whatwg] <font> and style=''

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Jan 12 01:03:34 PST 2007

http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-font

The definition of <font> and style='' seems like a compromise that
isn't good for either side of the style='' debate. Can it be
reconsidered, please?

Using <font style=''> as a block container is less backwards
compatible than <div style=''>. (Test case for Gecko DOM Inspector:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/test/wa10/adhoc/block-in-font.html ) Using
offers no technical benefit over <span style=''> which the guilty
tools are already emitting.

Therefore, I suggest allowing style='' on <div> and <span>. OTOH,
there's no point in reintroducing <font> if its HTML 3.2-compatible
attributes are not conforming.

Furthermore, I suggest allowing style='' on all elements, because
only allowing it on <div> and <span> would only move WYSIWYG output
even more to the direction of Karl Dubost's caricature of HTML 6.0.

P.S. I don't like style='', either. I just don't think it could be
eradicated without giving rise to something equally bad or worse.

P.P.S. On IRC, Tantek Çelik suggested reading the discussions that
the XHTML 2.0 folks had on this topic instead of having the same
discussions all over again.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi