[whatwg] Gears caching at identical URIs (was: Gears design goals)

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Jul 3 03:31:13 PDT 2007

On 7/3/07, Robert Sayre <sayrer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/2/07, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org> wrote:

> HTTP

> > > Yes, I should have mentioned that I don't think an Offline API will be
> > > able to handle Cache-Control:private stuff better than other proxies
> > > unless it reinvents other HTTP caching mechanisms.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean. Offline storage is a private cache and can
> > ignore Cache-Control:private.
>
> Seems to me that if you are worried about users seeing content
> intended for other users, it isn't a private cache.

It's private as far as HTTP is concerned: private to one client application.
The fact that Web applications are supporting multiple "users" sharing the
browser cache isn't relevant.

Rob
--
"Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred
denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back,