[whatwg] Web forms 2, input type suggestions

Sander Tekelenburg st at isoc.nl
Sat Jul 14 14:09:29 PDT 2007

At 21:08 +0200 UTC, on 2007-07-14, Sander wrote:

> Martin Atkins schreef:
>> Benjamin Joffe wrote:

[...]

>>> type="color"
>>> The user agent would display an appropriate colour picker and would
>>> send a hexidecimal string represting that colour to the server.
>>
>> I like this idea. It's simple and it's something I've implemented (and
>> seen implemented) dozens of times.
>
> I like this one too.

Same here. A use case I can imagine is an authoring tool that let's users
create CSS rules. Simply clicking the wanted colour avoids the risk of
(syntactically) incorrect color values.

However, to make it complete it would have to work both ways: if the form
defines a color (<input type="color" value="#66f">), that colour should be
presented s selected by the UA's color picker. Perhaps that's something to
leave entirely up to the UA, but I'd like it better if the at least suggests
that they may do.

I wonder what the fallback mechanism should be though. What should UAs that
do not/can not provide a color picker do?

Some testing (iCab, Opera, Firefox, Safari) sugests that UAs that don't
support type="color" would simply dislplay the value in a text field. If
that's true for all legacy UAs, that'd be OK I suppose.

> It should have an pallet attribute that defines the
> color pallet. I'm not shure how though

Could be useful if you'd need to allow the user to choose only from a limited
list of options, yes. If there already is a standard that describes colour
palettes, that might be useful. If not, this might be too complicated.

--
Sander Tekelenburg