[whatwg] Web forms 2, input type suggestions

Martin Atkins mart at degeneration.co.uk
Mon Jul 16 11:12:43 PDT 2007

>>> http://www.ficml.org/jemimap/style/color/wheel.html
>>> http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/
>>
>> These are some rather contrived examples.
>
> How can you possibly call them contrived, when they are real world
> examples of colour selection applications?
>
>> The first is asking users to select real-world (i.e. paint) colours,
>> while
>> this proposal was for screen colours in RGB format. (At least, that
>> was my understanding based on the reference to six-digit hex encoding.)
>
> I think it indicates a limitation with the proposed solution, and a
> perfect example of why we need to start with *problems* and *use cases*
> instead of solutions.  We need to devise a solution that fits the use
> cases, not reject use cases that don't fit the solution.

Applications for exploring colour spaces already have a satisfactory
solution, as in your examples. Since their focus is on colour selection
they implement a more elaborate UI that fits their purpose exactly.

Likewise, applications such as Google Calendar implement their own UI
for exploring the calendar rather than relying on the UI provided by
<input type="date">

However, applications whose focus is not on dates or colours but which
still need to accept such values as inputs benefit from commodity
controls; the specifics of how these controls are implemented matter
little as long as they produce results in a suitable format for
processing by the application.

A web search for "DHTML Colour Picker" (US or UK spelling) turns up
hundreds of distinct implementations of an RGB colour picker widget,
which indicates to me that there is a clear need for such a thing.
However, I cannot find any general-purpose DHTML colour widgets for
selecting paint colours that could be classed as reusable components, so
I'm left to assume that this is a very speciality need which needs to be
custom-developed in each case.

In short, I am not rejecting use cases that don't fit the solution, I'm
rejecting use cases that do not fit the scope of the problem as I see
it. You may percieve the problem differently, of course.