[Whatwg] Request for HTML-only print link

Sander html5 at zoid.nl
Fri Jul 27 20:23:15 PDT 2007

Hello,

I'm not sure whether this has been requested before, but the link to the
archives of this list seems to be broken at the moment, so I give it a
try...

I'd like to see an extension of the hyperlink to give it an HTML-only
print function. Nowadays making a print link available from within a
website always involves client-side scripting. This dependency should
not be necessary for something like printing as it is basic
functionality in most browsers (not sure about mobile devices though).

I can think of two ways, using existing attributes:
- target="_print"
- using some sort of pseudo-protocol: href="print:#"

In both cases the URL of the href attribute could lead to another
document, which is probably not what the visitor wants, but this is also
possible with the current technique. I'm not sure whether this is a good
thing or not.
In addition, linking to a node inside the document could be used to only
print that node (#content).

My personal favorite would be the pseudo-protocol as I think this
function is more inline with that of the email link.

cheers,
Sander