[whatwg] [Whatwg] Wish

WeBMartians webmartians at verizon.net
Tue Jul 31 15:35:59 PDT 2007

Wasn't this what, originally in "LiveScript," the <server> (versus <script>) tag was for?

There have been off-shoots of the <server> tag for purposes of ensuring security. For example, <server> tags can run if and only if
the source of the HTML or JS is the browser's machine- thereby implementing a kind of host facility on the client side. To apply
such code to the machine, a user must download the HTML/JS explicitly. After that, it may run unhindered, even updating itself.

Adding the requirement that the browser must have a white-list with the URL for the original download (and maybe, even, any updates)
would help alleviate some of the security concerns. Nonetheless, this could evolve into an enormous "hole" especially with naive
users.