[whatwg] <video> element proposal

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Thu Mar 1 03:50:44 PST 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:58:48 +0100, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net>
wrote:
> * Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Opera has some internal expiremental builds with an implementation of a
>> <video> element. The element exposes a simple API (for the moment) much
>> like the Audio() object:
>>
>>   play()
>>   pause()
>>   stop()
>
> May I suggest Opera does not implement features that are incompatible
> with SMIL, the SMIL implementation in Internet Explorer, and SVG for
> no extraordinarily good reason?

The element is very much a proposal, as mentioned at the bottom of my
original e-mail. This can still be aligned with other APIs. However,
looking at

   http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/reference/time2/elements/video.asp

I'm not sure we want to integrate that given that it requires some kind of
namespace support in text/html. The other thing is that 'mediacomplete'
seems to require that the video is completely loaded first which is (a)
not always something you want and (b) we have a 'load' event for that.

It's not really clear to me how it differs much from SVG:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/multimedia.html#VideoElement

In any case, if more alignment is needed that's certainly possible.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>