[whatwg] <video>, <object>, Timed Media Elements

ddailey ddailey at zoominternet.net
Thu Mar 22 05:03:24 PDT 2007

As a newcomer to this group, please forgive my ignorance of discussions
that, undoubtedly, have already taken place, but as I have been reading
these threads on <video> and timed media and <object>, a couple of questions
have come to mind:

1. why not just include SMIL as a part of HTML, much in the same way that it
is integrated with SVG? It is an existing W3C reco.

2. For content such as XML, MathML, SVG, ChemML... that one would like to
embed in an HTML document could there not be some sort of tag (<object> was
supposed to work, but doesn't in some browsers) like say

        <dom data="some.xml" id="D">

for which the DOM associated with the XML content would be easily accessible
through script as with:

        XMLDoc=document.getElementById("D").getXMLDocument.

It seems as though external things which have DOMs are quite different that
other sorts of media and may deserve their own tag.

David Dailey