[whatwg] Configure Apache to send the right MIME type for XHTML

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Wed Mar 7 08:20:29 PST 2007

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Personally I'd just give everyone HTML unless they specifically ask for
> XML and even then those tools should be capable of handling HTML imo.
> After all, it's the exchange format of the web.

HTML is the exchange format only when there's a human in the loop. HTML
is really only suited for exchanging certain basic kinds of narrative
documents for eventual display to people, who will do the heavy labor of
interpreting them. However, there's a lot more than that on the Web, and
those use cases aren't really served by HTML at all, not even XHTML.

I suspect my definition of "the web" may be broader than yours, and that
may be why we disagree.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!