[whatwg] <font>

Adrian Sutton adrian.sutton at ephox.com
Tue May 8 22:59:23 PDT 2007

On 8/5/07 8:13 PM, "Adrian Lynch" <adrian at millstream.com.au> wrote:
> I am sure there are just as many ingrained CMS's producing <font>
> tags in their output without using a WYSIWYG editor - they will need
> to be modified to meet specification, but WYSIWYG editors get a
> reprieve? Surely making a WYSIWYG editor remove font tags is no
> harder than any other system. Or am I seeing it from the wrong angle?

The issue isn't that it's hard to fix the WYSIWYG editor, the issue is that
it's hard to fix all the rest of the systems the client wants and the fact
that clients tend to want a font menu in their editor otherwise they
completely eliminate it from consideration without even talking to the
vendor. It's simple to make the font menu apply fonts using a span tag and
inline styles but that's no better than using a font tag and it breaks some
backend processing systems (PDF generation being the one that I encounter
most).

> Our CMS disallows any font menu/tags at all, has done for about 18
> months. Sure some clients question it initially, but after an
> explanation of the benefits no client has requested the feature be
> added back in.

I'm glad to hear it, sadly it doesn't reflect my experience despite my
trying.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.
Adrian Sutton, Integrations Product Manager
Global Direct: +1 (650) 292 9659 x717  Australia: +61 (7) 3858 0118
UK +44 (20) 8123 0617 x717    Mobile +61 (4) 222-36329
Ephox <http://www.ephox.com/>,   Ephox Blogs <http://planet.ephox.com/>